Join this Group for Updates and Discussions on this Blog (and a few others)!

Google Groups Join

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jai Ho! The Oscar Acceptance Speech!!

I was pointed out to the acceptance speeches made by A.R. Rahman and Resul Pookutty. I think this is significant, I am reproducing this from what I could hear in the noisy videos on-line on Oscars, maybe more on this when I have some time:


1. A.R.Rahman, a converted Muslim, as part of his acceptance speech says, 'All praise and glory to God (in Tamil)...I have had a choice all my life to select between love and hate, I chose love and here I am'!!


2. Resul Pookutty, a Muslim from Trivandrum, says as in his Oscar acceptance speech, 'I come from a Nation and a Civilization that gave the first sound...which was preceded and followed by silence, the word is Aum'!!

The two acceptance speeches made by these artists have broken many stereotypes in which they may be cast based on their background. At the highest level in any vocation, the practitioner expresses whatever he thinks is the essence in himself or his land. That these men chose to express humility, glory of the civilization and sense of sanctity is an indication of the what they think is the spirit of the land as Swami Vivekananda had said, 'Every thought from this land has gone with meditation before and blessings behind'.  



I didn't see the Oscar night live nor have I watched the movie, but, if this is what the Indian artists say when they are overwhelmed and want to express themselves in an international forum, it is great! they deserve all the greetings they get and more! Jai Ho!

No comments:

Read by Label