Join this Group for Updates and Discussions on this Blog (and a few others)!

Google Groups Join

Sunday, June 12, 2022

I refuse to adopt 'victimhood'

 My ancestors were colonized

Their freedom taken away

They suffered, yes. But, I was born in a free world

I refuse to seek revenge for Colonization

I refuse to adopt victimhood!


My forefathers were migrants

They spoke a language different 

In the land they lived

They also became scholars in the local languages

Sometimes as a child my mother tongue resulted in being discriminated

But, I refuse to adopt language victimhood!


I was born in a community considered 'upper'

I grew up learning the privileges

When i interacted with others less privileged

I understood what all benefits I seem to enjoy

But, I didn't choose it, I didn't cause it.

I consciously work towards annihilating it

I refuse the guilt trip and ensuing victimhood.


I was born in a faith system with legacy of synthesis

It has had troublesome past and limitations galore

But it also gave me  truths I hold dear

A vision of harmony and embracing everyone.

I often listen to its limitations amplified or achievements romanticized

One appeals to superior hood and other seeks its decimation

I refuse both and will not adopt victimhood.


I was born in a civilization that is unique and non-dominant

It didn't conquer far off lands, subjugate or enslave

Nor seek dominions or trade dominance as power.

Gently its representatives taught the world to love and live together

Amidst the many that sought to dominate thus and called

My land and its people a meek one and others who adopted this and sought violence in retaliation 

I refuse both as victimhood.


I practice the political view of an old man that 

Struggled with practicing Peace and Truth 

And built one of the largest movements in the world

As an example of their power and potent

He was hated by the conservatives, leftists, extra liberals and bigots equally

His followers often denied any space in the social discourse dominated by Noise

Pincered by their noise from either 'side', I refuse to fall for the trap of victimhood and lose my voice.


In the commodity commerce world of  wealth accumulation as creed

Where security means savings beyond need by any means,

Limiting my life priorities to the interest of me, myself and my immediate

At the cost of all other, I choose to not save nor accumulate wealth,

Invest my time for larger good and trust the universe to cooperate

Reaching out during dire needs, working with acute challenges other times

I refuse to sell my talent to high bid nor commodify myself as an image to trade

I refuse to fall for the victimhood of commerce.


Everyday as I wake up to the call of twenty different birds

Lay i bed to await the call of the familiar crow

Feel the cool breeze in otherwise hot weather, walk through the dust and grime of a large city,

Familiar sights of disparity, greed, insensitivity and discrimination

Enshrined in a million visible ways through the roads of extra busy people

I refuse to lose faith that these people can't change for the better,

I refuse to trade my optimism for victimhood of hopelessness.

No comments:

Read by Label